Turning Point is seeking the following:
About Turning Point: Turning Point provides both residential emergency shelter and non-residential advocacy and supportive services for survivors of domestic and sexual violence, including adult sex trafficking.
Location: Turning Point is located in Warrenton, MO, roughly an hour west of St. Louis City, in a lovely rural setting.
POSITION 1: CRISIS INTEREVENTION WORKER (CIW), an in-shelter position: Part-time and Full-Time (31 hours). CIWs provide emotional support, safety, shelter organization, client assistance and hotline response. We have a variety of hours, including evenings, nights, weekends and/or some morning hours.
- Degree desirable, but not required. Experience working with crisis situations, domestic/sexual violence victims, human needs, or education specific to degree paths in women’s and gender studies (any major), human and social services, sociology, anthropology, criminology, criminal justice, public policy, political science
POSITION 2: ADVOCATE (Court and General Advocacy):
Job Description: Full-time, 40 hours per week. We are looking for the right person to advocate on behalf of survivors in systems or in institutions that are external to Turning Point, such as with the courts, law enforcement, social services, medical and mental health systems, and others. Although this position is M-F, days, must be able to work occasional evenings, nights and/or weekends as required.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- Degree paths or focus areas in women’s, gender, sexuality studies (any major)
- Human and social services, human rights, sociology, anthropology, criminology, criminal justice, public policy, political science.
- Strong computer skills;
- Capacity to communicate by phone and in writing;
- Basic understanding of criminal justice system;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, empathy, emotional IQ, and professional boundaries;
- Capacity to lift up to 35 pounds;
- Must have own vehicle and auto insurance.
Exposure and awareness:
- Sensitive to the dynamics, complexities, intersections of identities, and stratification of power and privilege that set the stage for domestic and sexual violence.
- Aware of the impact of trauma and the complicating influence of addiction, mental illness, and poverty.
Critical Personal Qualities:
- A well-defined and appropriate sense of humor.
- Capacity to make order out of chaos and to withstand uncertainty and unpredictability.
- Values diversity and inclusion.
- Holds self-determination as a core value of advocating for others.
- Desire to make a difference in the lives of some of our most vulnerable neighbors.
Location: Warren County, MO, and the surrounding counties of Montgomery, Gasconade, Franklin, Lincoln and St. Charles.
To Apply for either position: Submit a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.